Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Yellowstone






One of my old roomates, Seth, flew out to meet me for Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. I am very grateful to have had his company, and it was awesome to be able to experience these places with another person. While I am comfortable being by myself and travelling by myself, this place was almost too much to experience alone. Seth and I both wish that we had seen this earlier in life, and we wish that we had been exposed to a greater variety of experiences when we were younger - for example seeing a national park. We both kind of envied the college kids who were working in the park for the summer. I never had a fun summer job. II am amazed at how much wildlife there is in Yellowstone. I have to thank my mom for the binoculars. I suggest that all of my friends go see Yellowstone at some point, and bring the best binoculars you can afford. You will feel like you can reach out and touch these massive, wild animals. I will never forget watching a grizzlie bear and her three cubs foraging and coming up the hill toward us. I almost feel like I wasn't supposed to see that. The next morning we went out looking for a bald eagle, and in the process we found a red hawk and another grizzlie. We eventually found the eagle as well. Later in the day we got to sit at the top of a hill and watch a herd of over 100 buffalo.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mike it sounds like Yellowstone has won you over like it did me fifteen years ago. One can't even imagine the splendor and beauty until you set foot in the park, in the shadows of the Tetons. It is fitting that you were lucky enough to see the grizzlie, he is the royal sentinel of that majestic land. It would really be awesome if everyone had the opportunity to experience it.

    ReplyDelete