Monday, July 12, 2010

Crater Lake - just like a post card





July 9 - still enough snow on the ground that only 3/4 of the road around the lake was open. Took a bus tour with Ranger Dave, who was very informative. Stayed in the National Park Lodge, which was pricey, but allowed me to see two things which I would have missed had I camped in the forest below the lake. First, there were rainbows in the sky over the lake at sunset. Somehow I got up at about 5:15 the next morning and watched a spectacular sunrise from my window. Could have went and watched it on the porch, but the mosquitos were rediculous. Every time I opened my car door, five or six mosquitos jumped in with me. All in all though, Crater Lake is an amazing place. I had seen a lot of pictures, so I knew what to expect. I tryed to imagine what it must have been like to be the first person to stumble out of the woods and see the lake. According to Ranger Dave, in the 1800s this propector was out looking for gold, and he fell asleep while riding on his mule. When he woke up, there was this ubelievably blue lake with a volcanic island in front of him. He must have felt as if he had died and gone to Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment