Saturday, July 3, 2010

Santa Cruz





As soon as I got to Santa Cruz, I happened by a skate park where a bunch of guys my age were doing crazy tricks in what was basically an empty swimming pool. They were getting air and turning upside down. I was very impressed. Then I went to Steamer Lane near the lighthouse and watched guys surf. Again very impressed because the waves were powerful and they generated a lot of speed and got long rides. I had a look at the seals, or maybe they were sea lions that were relaxing on the rock off in the distance. Macy took a pooh and, being the good guy that I am, I bagged it up. Being the unlucky guy that I am, the bag broke and the contents landed on my ankle. Oh, I was so mad. But then I got to my campsite at Henry Cowell State Park (treeline seen in the pictures there). It sat on a ridge overlooking a redwood forest. Most beautiful campsite I have ever had. This significantly changed my mood. I have to thank my friend Gretchen who found the site for me months earlier when she drove through and scouted it out for me. Gretchen and her boyfriend Jason were awesome hosts, and I cannot thank them enough for their hospitality.
They came out to my campsite and we cooked out. The following day, Gretchen took me to the Monterrey aquarium - I liked the Seahorses best of all. She and Jason took me to the old roller coaster at the boardwalk, and then they took me out to see the best and worst Karaoke show I have ever seen. There was this one guy who did a rendition of AC/DCs Dirty Deeds which I will never, ever forget. He shouted and bounced around the room with so much energy and invaded everyone's personal space. Incredible. I spent the night at their house and really enjoyed my stay. I hated leaving Santa Cruz. I'm considering spending next summer there. Redwood trees, water, low humidity, temperature seventy to eighty degrees in the summer,a fun social scene, and very nice folks living there. Why not?

1 comment:

  1. Always bring wipes when traveling - shit happens in many different ways.

    I LOVE this blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete